Divine nescience of future contingencies a necessity. Being an introduction to "The foreknowledge of God, and cognate themes" (1882)

fullscreen
Author: McCabe, L. D. (Lorenzo Dow), 1817-1897
Subject: God -- Omniscience
Publisher: New York, Phillips & Hunt, for the author
Call number: b4988061
Digitizing sponsor: MSN
Book contributor: New York Public Library
Collection: newyorkpubliclibrary; americana
Scanfactors: 11

Average Rating: 4.00 out of 5 stars4.00 out of 5 stars4.00 out of 5 stars4.00 out of 5 stars

Reviewer: NoiseCollector - 3.00 out of 5 stars3.00 out of 5 stars3.00 out of 5 stars - May 21, 2011
Subject: i gotz beamed up to heaven
but i still have reception on my rapture phone

Reviewer: wstaylor711 - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - May 21, 2011
Subject: Professor Lorenzo Dow McCabe
"In 1879 Professor McCabe gave to the world his largest and most labored book, on "The Foreknowledge of God." This book and its successor, published in 1882, on "The Divine Nescience of Contingencies," were daring yet devout attempts to place our Arminian theology on an impregnable basis. The theme was new, or nearly so, to American divines, but had long been familiar to the theology of Germany and of England, and the theory advocated here, had a large acceptance there. From my intimacy with Dr. McCabe during the preparation of those books, I know that they were the product of his own absolutely original investigations into the teachings of the Bible, and of the unbiased human reason. His books are larger and more explicit and more conclusive than any before them; and so we may be proud to claim for our own professor the honor of what to him, if not to historic fact, was a new and brave departure from the beaten path in the agonizing struggle of men to make God just, as well as the justifier of the sinner." -

An excerpt from the 'Western Christian Advocate' June 23, 1897 of the announcement of his passing, this being the Memoir by Dr. Williams, a former student.

W. Scott Taylor
Alabama 2011

Selected metadata

Copyright-evidence-operator: nicole.deyo
Copyright-region: US
Copyright-evidence: Evidence reported by nicole.deyo for item divinenescienceo00mcca on August 12, 2008: visible notice of copyright; stated date is 1882.
Copyright-evidence-date: 20080812150811
Scanningcenter: nyc
Mediatype: texts
Identifier: divinenescienceo00mcca